Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jam Club

This is an idea from quite awhile ago.. I never put the time and energy into getting if off the ground, but then that was a big part of the reason why I decided to adjust my life around my ideas and ideals.

The idea was borne on a road-trip down the coast from Sydney to Melbourne. It revolves, again, not dissimilarly to the Errol Plan, having a group of six or eight people, who would get together say, once a month.

Each person would make jam or chutney of their choosing. It would be important that someone would coordinate, so that we didn't end up with 6 lots of strawberry jam, though!



We would all get together in someone's lounge room (in my mental 
image, the set is warm and cosy, everyone has a nice cup of tea and we are all sitting on assorted pieces of furniture. At least one of us is sitting on a vintage vinyl poufe. There is probably a cat somewhere around the place...) and discuss the methods we used to make the jam, the origin of our fruit content and the choice of design for our labels.

The Jam Club would perhaps change to a Soup Club during Autumn and 
Winter, when fruit was not in ready supply. You would end up walking away with at least six different meals that you could freeze and take to work or have at home with your friends. 

It is still something I am definitely interested in getting up and running. I think one of the most important things to note, is that no-one would be expected to share their recipes!!!

It harks back to the days of, certainly my grandparents, where sharing the goods was the norm. Will work especially well if you can keep Errol away from the backyard orchard!!!


3 comments:

  1. I have recently 'accidentally' made some quince jelly. Does Jelly count? Certainly could not share recipe as I don't know how I made it!
    Primrose

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha....
    let me guess, you tripped and fell??

    jellies absolutely count.
    Jellies, Jams, Chutneys, Pickles.
    It's all good!!

    ps: welcome to evie and mabel.. hope you'll follow and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was actually trying to reduce the cooking liquor to make a sugar syrup for cocktails, left it too long and it set! It is quite delicious :)

    P x

    ReplyDelete