Monday, April 13, 2009

Found Objects, Upcycling & New Clothing Rebellion (NCR)

NitaJane and I spend a fair amount of time at our local trash and treasure market. In fact it's not local to either of us anymore, but we happily traipse across town at least once a fortnight to visit this little gem. 

It costs $1 each to get in, amazingly good jam donuts at 60c each, a fabulous assortment of eccentrics and a glorious fruit and veg stall that consistently plays Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton as you peruse the green beans, butternut pumpkins and farm-fresh eggs.

Said market is my current fossicking ground, as I search for the ideal 'found objects' from which to create jewellery. Saleable jewellery would be fabulous, but for the interim, I am hoping to make something to wear to A & G's wedding, which is not too far away. I purchased a vast collection of industrial objects with which I filled my pockets. So much so that I have been referred to as Jackie Paper* for the last week! I have made two necklaces so far, which I will put up photos of soon.

On that note, I am particularly enjoying alot of the thinking that is going into working out other uses for stuff. Raiding sheds and markets, keeping my eyes peeled as I wander the streets, and exploring my local op-shop, alot of my energy is going into ways that these items can be used in new ways... UpCycling. 

I have spend a bit of time at the local oppy's lately, hunting for something to wear to the wedding. (yep, I found something) In doing so, it has made me very aware of the sheer volume of clothing that I have, about 80% of which I rarely, if ever, wear. And so I have decided, that in the interest of a being as sustainable as I can, I am going to do my utmost to refrain from buying new clothes. The last time I bought new clothes was in Katherine, about 8 weeks ago. I bought three new pairs of pants, because the pants I had with me no longer fit. I'm happy to say that I have worn all three pairs of pants quite a few times. Even though this is the case, I have decided that I have enough clothes that I should not need to buy any more.

My self-imposed guidelines (note, these are guidelines, not rules - it's something I am aspiring to do!!) are:
  • If I feel like I need something new, I will go home and search my wardrobe for something similar or alterable.
  • I am allowed to buy clothes from op shops, garage sales, or markets, so long as they are not brand new.
  • Should I need new underwear, then that's allowed.
I am very conscious of trying to be mindful of living a sustainable life. I'm working hard at trying to ensure that my clothes, jewellery, homewares, and food are as environmentally friendly and sustainable as they can be. Evie & Mae are going to be as green as they possibly can! (Aside, of course from the electricity needed to share my thoughts with you all....

*Jackie Paper, who found fame with the lines

"Little Jackie Paper, loved dragon, Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff"


2 comments:

  1. Ah hello? Why are you not sharing the address of your 'said market'? Or is it there and I can't find it at 4am? Yes. Awake! It's totally not fair to get me excited about a Melb market, then not tell me where it is 2 days before I leave the country. I want to go. TOMORROW. actually that would be today. And you're too hard on yourself - I agree with all your guidelines except not buying something from a second hand place that is brand new. That is the ultimate score! I paid a dollar for a brand new dress at an Oppy and it's awesome. People always comment on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya...
    I think what I meant with the not brand new was like, hippy gear from a market... (which is always overpriced anyways). The dress I got for the wedding looks brand new! And as for the market.. it's not one I hadn't told you about before!! And it's not open TOMORROW. Or Today. You can come with us when you get back from Japan.
    If you bring me a cool-design pack of cigs :)

    Have an ace trip!

    ReplyDelete